Friday, October 17, 2008

The great washer debacle of 2008

Alert! Don't read any further if you have a weak stomach


Let me start by saying, we are NOT filthy people. My home is not spotless, but it is no where near filth either.

I just experienced one of the top most disgusting moments of my life. Yup, I can pretty much put this right up there with poop, puke, and well let your imagination fill in the rest. After 2 kids, cleaning dog, cat, people puke / poop there isn't much that makes me sick. THIS however was enough to send me almost running for the McPotty.

This all started about two weeks ago. Our washer broke. We had a repair man come fix it a few days later. My washer is the front loading style, so it has a rubber seal all the way around on the front. A shock broke on the bottom, causing the center drum to drop. This turned that seal almost inside out. I noticed that the seal was slimy on one side. I thought maybe at first this was part of the reason the washer was broken.

Fast forward to today. I was pulling out some towels and I noticed the seal was pulling out with the fabric. I saw the seal turn inside out and it jogged my memory from the week before.

I grabbed a lysol wipe off the washer, pulled back the seal and almost retched at what I saw. It basically looked like someone shit in the liner.

I used at least half a tub of lysol wipes, and an old towel wiping out the gunk.

I am running the washer right now empty with Tide with bleach, and some vinigar. Hopefully this will kill any left over germs. Don't worry! I threw the towel away in a plastic bag with all the other wipes.

After dousing myself in lysol, and taking several deep breaths, I went online and found this article.

Gross Washer article

See this liner? This is basically what mine looked like.



Basically the referenced article says If you don't run a maintenance wash with bleach additive once a month with no clothes, your washer could grow slim and black mold. Wow, that is so freaking awesome! NOT. Make sure to leave the door open when not in use as well.

Ironically, we have been worried our basement had mold in it, because it flooded too. Maybe this whole time it was because we were washing our clothes in a dirty washer haha.

If you have weak stomach, don't look at these pictures I am posting here>>>>














I think I will need a drink tonight.

0 comments:

One Ordinary Sky   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP